- What is the purpose of what you are trying to “sell”?
- Does it satisfy a basic need or is it a luxury?
- What makes it unique?
- What other products are similar and what advantage does yours have?
The aim of my project is to entertain audience members and engage with active social media users. Research has shown that social media news feeds are browsed regularly throughout the day due to boredom and dissatisfaction of the user. In order to combat that boredom, my project will aim to give the viewer something to browse for and enjoy following. Similar to a soap or drama series that people sit and watch on the television, my project will act as the first social media “soap” distributed through social media content in the forms of short videos, pictures, status’. The viewer must follow or add the characters in order to gain full experience from online series. My project is unique in that it has not been achieved before – forums online have always established themselves after a TV show has been aired on television, but what I intend to do is to distribute the story through the social media profiles of the characters themselves.
From watching my own news feeds whilst enjoying popular TV programmes, I was able to recognise peoples increased online activity when indeed the popular TV show was on because people wanted to discuss and make comments about it. By following a hastag to do with the TV show, users of social media were able to discuss and express their feelings about what they were watching.
By creating a fictional story online and getting users to follow each character to understand the next part of the story, a networked web of narrative with hopefully be created.
The disadvantages and problems to consider:
- Not being able to establish a following of users/viewers
- Not being able to keep up with enough content for the viewer to engage with
- Backlash from public audience
- Unable to regulate what characters are real and constructed and people just trying to get involved